May 17, 2008

Prado: New & Improved.

It must be a real shit of a challenge to design a museum. I was thrilled to see that Martin Filler* will be writing a series of critiques on recent museum designs/redesigns for Architectural Record. You can read the first one here.

I enjoyed these images of the newly designed Prado extension in Madrid. It looks simple and light while still creating a sense of awe. I think it heightens the work, as opposed to overwhelming it.




I have a special place in my heart for the Prado, as it's the only place that I've ever met a genuine sea captain. For real!

And it also has a magnificent collection. It was the first time I'd seen Hieronymus Bosch in person. The Goyas were overwhelming and shocking and I nearly barfed with excitement.

*I also highly recommend Filler's recent book, The Makers of Modern Architecture. Informative! Comprehensive! Elegantly written!

No comments: